Thread: New Ram 3500
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 03:42 PM   #146
sourdough
Site Team

Another observation on this change;

I spent a lot of time investigating and worrying about the size changes between 2014 and 2019 plus the difference between going from 2500 to 3500. A LOT of time.

Spec sheet I found indicated the truck grew about 1 1/2" in length and a little over 1" in height considering both differences. In the Ram office they call the 2019 Ram SB/CC short bed a 6.5 bed on their posters; it used to be a 6.4 so I was worried. Called the folks that make my bed cover (Bak Industries) and one person told me I needed a different one, the next said the existing one would work. Irritating.

Here's what I know at this point:

>Installed the BakFlip hard bed cover today and it fit like a glove - exactly like it did on the 14 2500.

>There may be some difference in length or height but I do not see or feel it. I firmly believe it will be the same as the old truck.

>I had real worries about the ride of a 1 ton and going from the supposedly nice riding coil springs to leafs. The reality is that the 1 ton rides as well or better than the 3/4. We both really like it.

>The price difference between the 3/4 and 1 ton is really negligible.

>The huge screen in the middle of the dash is apparently very disconcerting to puppy if I turn the display off and there is just a big black shiny screen - a literal mirror, and she acts strangely until I turn it on and make that reflection go away. (She sits on the console)

>Knowing what I know now first hand I should have just bypassed a 3/4 ton and went to a 1 ton. The 3/4 was overkill at the time, and served us well, but if there is the slightest possibility anyone thinks they might upgrade their RV just get the 1 ton - lots of positives and no downsides whatsoever as far as I can tell.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote