View Single Post
Old 05-13-2019, 05:31 AM   #108
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
3/4 ton diesels seem to me to be the worst of both worlds. Limited increase in payload, limiting the weight you can pull, while being as expensive as a 1 ton with a decent payload.

I know they will tow easier than I can with my 1/2 ton, but with a payload rating over 2K, I'm pretty close to the payload limit of a 3/4 ton diesel.

Just my thoughts.
I think there are other factors to consider besides payload. For example, my 3/4 ton weighs more than my 27 foot trailer so the tail is not going to wag the dog. Also, my 3/4 ton has a longer wheelbase than a 1/2 ton, making it more stable. The Diesel engine has a diesel exhaust brake that makes going down long grades very easy. My 3/4 ton is also my daily driver so I appreciate the softer ride, when empty, than a 1 ton would give me.

I am very happy with the size trailer I have, and I could easily tow a longer trailer. I have no desire or need to move to a 1 ton. I see your point, but I think a 3/4 ton is far superior to a 1/2 ton for towing. The only reason to get a 1 ton is if you are pulling a fifth wheel. And then you may as well get a dually.

Just my opinion.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote