View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 03:44 PM   #59
Cfitzkp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As was said, you will come to a point you will have to run with fluids by necessity or some unplanned circumstance. You just can't run that close to your max weights. You also said you load very light right now due to the truck. That won't last either. Why go camping if you can't take all the things that make camping enjoyable? Been there, done that. Departing for a camping trip with the grill, jacks, bicycles, tools, etc. etc. etc. sitting there in the barn as you drive away with the RV.....without that "new fangled" InstaPot, no extra jeans, shoes, coats, boots, RV essentials, cookware, silverware, pots/skillets, and on and on and on.....is depressing....every time.

In addition to the above, towing at the limit in a 1/2 ton is just plain not fun. I used to literally dread hitting a long run and knowing there was going to be a breeze. By the end of a 6 hour towing day I was totally exhausted from trying to keep everything somewhere between my lines; constantly scanning the mirrors for anything coming up on me so I could tense and brace up to prepare for the push/pull when they came by. And I thought it was going well!! BTW, that was with upgraded LT tires, air bags and Bilstein shocks.

Bought a 3/4 HD gas truck. 3200 lb. payload. Hooked up the trailer and took off. Hmmm, "that semi just blew by me and I didn't know it"......"hey, the winds kicked up to 30mph...and I don't know it"!! Woo Hoo!! Some real life comments I've made to myself after upgrading. I also ENJOY hooking the trailer up and going; I can look at things and feel relaxed. I have zero worries what the weather is (unless hail, tornado etc.). And you know, back there, in the bed of the truck, under my locking bed cover, are my jacks, tools, bbq pit/stand, dehumidifier, picnic table, blocks, ice chest, etc. etc. that I couldn't take in the other truck due to limitations.

On top of all that is an even more important reason to have an adequate truck for the trailer you tow; I feel safe now. I don't look over at my wife driving down the road knowing she's trusting me to keep her safe and I'm not...knowingly. The other drivers on the road trust me to do that as well, now I am.

Others have posted numbers for you. You will be overweight if you actually load the truck/trailer to use. Overweight, or even close to overweight in a 1/2 ton truck is dangerous - there have been many posts as to why. You should always have a minimum of 15% cushion from your max numbers IMO - all of them.

A 3/4 ton gas HD truck will take care of what you have just fine. But, if you think you may ever want anything bigger you should just get the 1 ton. Whether gas/diesel, SRW or DRW all depend on what it is that you think is in your future. Personally I'll be replacing trucks soon. I will be going with a 1 ton SRW. Don't know about gas/diesel yet. The purchase price isn't much different and I should pick up 8-900lbs. in payload. I didn't want a 3/4 ton because they ride so rough and I had had a bad back for 32 years and a stiff truck killed me. Well, a gallbladder removal fixed that unbeknownst to me or my doc at the time!! Miracle! Now, bring on that 1 ton!
You guys are the best thats why i joined a forum bc i wanted to learn from people with experiences bc im new to all of this. Experience knows best. And we are thinking of doing a seasonal next year and possibly for longer so just need to get pass this season until we can afford a bigger truck if we decide to venture out
But you guys think a F250 gas would work? Idk if i want to go diesel due to be an everyday vehicle
Cfitzkp is offline   Reply With Quote