View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 02:48 PM   #55
Cfitzkp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
So many novice RV'ers say (and believe) they will never get into a situation where they need to tow with water or waste water. Most find that the first time they get into a campground with no water, that changes. Then, consider the weekend trip to a state park with water and electricity at the site and a dump station at the park entrance. You check in Friday night, plan to leave Sunday morning, get hitched, tow to the dump station with FULL TO THE BRIM gray and black tanks, only to find three orange cones blocking entrance to the dump station and a park ranger waving people to the entrance. You stop to ask him what's going on, he tells you that the dump is closed because someone plugged the drain with something and it will be late that evening before they can get it unstopped.

You ask him where the nearest dump station is, he shrugs his shoulders and says, "I think there's one about 40 miles west." You tell him, 'I'm going east" and he says, "There isn't one until you get to "XX town" which is 125 miles from here.".....

So much for your, "I will never tow with fluid in the tanks, as you now have two 38 gallon gray tanks and a 38 gallon black tank. That's 114 gallons of "unplanned weight" for a total of around 950 pounds of "I'll never tow with fluids".....

I can't tell you how many times I've been in situations that I "planned never to encounter"..... You'll be there too.

There's one member of our forum, who NEVER had encountered sway, didn't realize the issues, so wasn't concerned because it's always been easy towing with my rig..... Until he was 150 miles from home, trying to get back from a nice weekend, encountered 30+ MPH gusting sidewinds and "white-knuckled his way home".... His solution, invest in a $3000 hitch on Monday morning....

Most of us have been where you are. Trust me when I tell you that not a one of us wants you to spend money needlessly, not a one of us wants to discourage you from RVing. Every one of us wants you and your family to be safe while you enjoy what we all enjoy. We're not trying to EXCLUDE you from RVing. We're trying to help you make the experience safe, pleasant, rewarding and something you enjoy, not something you dread to do because you're exhausted when you get there Friday evening and only have the trip back home to worry about Sunday.....

We want you to keep RVing, not do it until you hurt someone or until you damage your rig and realize that it's dangerous and you don't want to do it any more.... Avoid that kind of experience and you'll always enjoy having the proper equipment.
For that reason we are only going to one camprground we are familiar with that have full hookup bc of my situation. Im thankful for your input and look foward to future rving
Cfitzkp is offline   Reply With Quote