View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 01:19 PM   #52
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfitzkp View Post
I am definitely hearing everything your saying and i appreciate the feedback if you dont mind me asking what was your situation and what made you change
We had a 2018 GMC Yukon Denali. We had a max tow value of (I think) 8200 lbs and our trailer was GVR of 8800lbs. We told the RV dealer that we were not planning on towing with the tanks full, so we felt we were not over the limit.

The published tongue weight for our trailer was also pretty light, as something like 760lbs, when in reality, it's much closer to 1000lbs.

The real lesson was while towing the trailer. I never felt like it was going to go out of control, but it was a lot of white-knuckle driving. Of course, that doesn't account for the possible emergency/urgent situations. If one of those had happened (animal on the road, tire failure, idiot cutting me off, etc.), things could have easily gone south very quickly. I really don't like to think about it.

After the first trip with the trailer (about a 5-hour drive) I was exhausted. During those few days camping, we talked mostly about replacing the Yukon with a more capable truck.

This was a really hard decision, as we paid a premium price for the Yukon and it was less than 8 months since we purchased it brand new. We took a real bath on the trade-in value. I justified it by knowing we were much safer and in a few years, the money lost will be forgotten.

Now that I have a capable truck, I look back over my years of towing and realize I've been in the danger zone much more than I should have allowed. I feel that in some cases, I'm quite lucky I got out without any major incident.

This forum has been a great help in teaching my why those numbers are important.

Best Regards,