View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 11:44 AM   #45
MarkEHansen

You're understating your tongue weight. You keep saying that you will tow the trailer empty so the empty TW is appropriate, but that's not going to be the case. I'd wager if you go to a cat scale and weigh the tongue of your trailer, you'll be surprised. The number published by the manufacturer should not be used for this purpose.

Also, you need to consider the size of the trailer (width, height, length) and how that will react to your 1/2-ton TV.

The only realistic value to use need to be based on the GVW of the trailer, not the empty weight. This has been said multiple times. Take those numbers and go through the whole check: payload, GCWR, AWR (rear and front), etc. If you do this, I think you'll start to see.

If you want to continue to based your logic on the empty weight of the trailer, then as I said before, the odds are against you.

By the way, I was where you are - making the same argument. It took me a while to see it. Listen to the folks saying the same thing. I've been towing for a few years (30 or so, I think) - some of them even longer.

Best of luck.