View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
break80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
You saying that you have never been able to get over the air channels says to me two things:

1) Improper setup so your tv can't receive signal

OR

2) Physical connection problem or wire issue so your tv can't receive signal.

Lets try to eliminate the first one since it's easiest.

Hopefully you know what direction the TV's stations broadcast towers in your city are located. For instance, I live on the east side of Cincy and the towers are all near downtown so to get the best reception, I need to point my antenna toward the west, towards the city.

So raise your antenna, grab the little base and turn it until the antenna is facing the direction of your cities broadcast towers.

Then go to your TV and power on. Make sure the amplifier light is on by pressing the little button in the middle of the cover plate where the cable plugs in.

Press the INPUT button to make sure the TV is using the TV function and not one of the "Line in" or AUX inputs. If it's not on the right input, nothing you will do will let you receive the over the air signal.

Use the menu to get to auto programming and let it search for channels. Watch the display while it does this. If it finds digital channels, it will show how many are being found. If it finds any, your antenna is working and your TV is getting signal or they would not register as found channels.

Once it completes tune to one of the local channels that you know broadcasts in your area. In Cincy 5, 9, 12 and 19 are the local ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX affiliates. in the digital format, you usually have to tune to 5.1, 9.1, 12.1, 19.1 on your tv which can be done by pressing 5 and enter and then channel up once to get to 5.1.

So once you have tuned to whatever your local OTA (Over The Air) channel is, go back and press the INPUT button again slowly. Give it about 5-8 seconds between presses as some digital TV's take a few seconds to switch from one input to the next before displaying a picture.

Hopefully, going through this process makes it work for you or turns on the light bulb on the one missing step that was preventing you from getting OTA signal before.

If not, report back, especially if doing the auto programming finds zero or only a few stations as that would indicate their may be a hardware issue somewhere.
I've done all of this step by step in detail many times last year. I'll probably de-winterize the camper in another week and will work thru this again and report back. I think my next step is to get an ohm meter and check the hardware/cable
break80 is offline   Reply With Quote