View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think most truckers are OK with an RV'er refueling in the truck lines as long as you pump your 20-50 gallons and get out of the way. Truckers, in many states are required to buy enough diesel (pay taxes) to provide for the use of the roadway. They have to show receipts for the fuel purchases at the weigh station as they leave the state. So, in many places, they have to stop, even if they don't need to. Irritated already because they're losing valuable time, the last thing they need is to sit behind an "RV family" while 3 rug rats are walking around, pumping their arms in the air trying to get truckers to blast the air horn, while Mom is walking the dog over in the parking area. Dad gets back in the truck, and instead of pulling out of the way, he starts yelling out the window for Mom to hurry up as she stuffs the dog in the back seat and starts chasing the rats around the parking lot.... Does it happen? You betcha, fortunately not nearly as often as it could, but to a trucker on a schedule, once is too darned many......

Like the "little car" that blocks the only diesel pump, that's how irritated that trucker gets at that RV'er.... Unfortunately, many truckers are much more vocal than RV'ers, so while you sit and steam about that "little car", fully expect that trucker to let you know his displeasure....

Maybe this is a little exaggerated, but think about how you're perceived and you can keep most truckers smiling and accepting of RV'ers in the truck lanes....
You know, stuff happens. Do truckers have an absolute right to the big lanes that provide diesel? No. Are they in some way, their trip, timeline etc. more important than yours? No. Can they sit while you/we fill up our rigs as we courteously try to get of the way when we are done? Absolutely. I have zero worry about truckers and their "timeline". I have been run off the road intentionally, have them try to ram me, sit in front of me for miles trying to make sure that no one can pass even if there is a line 5 miles long behind them...no, I have NO worry about them trying to get anywhere.

When I was young, truckers were considered "professionals", to me they had "knowledge" and things they knew to drive safely and be aware as they drove with normal traffic. Now, they are like watching a Mad Max movie as you try to maneuver the highways. Years ago, before I retired and was involved in all kind of things, the warden of a prison (min/max) told us, in a private meeting, that the number one occupation that an inmate looked forward to was being a truck driver.....I think we can all see how that is impacting all of us as drivers. OTR semi drivers should be restricted by laws to speed limits (55mph) as well as other more stringent measures. IMO they have gotten out of control. JMO/YMMV Let the fun begin.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote