Thread: Gen need ground
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
I'm still confused, sorry.... Question - if a location has water pipes that are suitable (galvanized pipe) should I ground the generator (via the ground point marked on the generator) to it? Question - should one ground a generator in the back of a truck to the truck (via the ground point marked on the generator) with a cable? I'm not an electrician and just don't know if this is correct or necessary.
yes, try connecting the generator to a metal water pipe, provided it is really a decent earth ground, it will satisfy the EMS test for ground/neutral bonding. And it's probably the safest setup. Now the generator and trailer are truly connected to an earth ground. If the EMS still shows "open ground" it means the water pipe is not a good enough earth ground.

Or just build the bonding plug I described in an earlier post.

I would advise that you do NOT ground the generator to your truck. First, it won't provide a ground path back to the panel, hence the EMS will still see an unbonded ground/neutral, and second, it is a potential safety hazard, A fault between hot and ground now potentially has your truck live, since the truck is likely not well grounded, being insulated from earth ground by the rubber tires.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote