View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 07:20 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFord View Post
"The truck, according to the window sticker, is equipped with the 2.7L EcoBoost enging and the $995 trailer towing package. That would, if I'm reading the data correctly, mean that the truck is limited to 5,000 pound trailers."

Being familiar with the F-150 family, that statement is not necessarily correct, as that combination should tow a lot more than 5,000 lbs. (which is typically the "bumper-mounted" tow ball limitation). That is why is suggested calling Ford Motor Company customer service, giving them the VIN and they can verify the exact tow package installed and the actual towing capacity limit. Or, get one of the Ford-published towing guides for the 2018 F-150 line, get a copy of the window sticker for that truck, and look-up the towing limit for the given installed equipment.

By your reading of the "data," my truck would be limited to 5,000 lbs., and it is not.
You might want to actually read the information on the dealer's website and, for the record, the window sticker for that specific truck is linked on the site. The window sticker indicates the trailer tow package is included (that's where I got the $995 price) and there is ABSOLUTELY NO" information on towing limitations on the window sticker.

There is a significant difference between your 2016 F150 with the 3.5L EcoBoost engine and the 2018 F150 with the 2.7L EcoBoost engine. Additionally, the specifications section on the Ford website indicates this truck can tow "8400 pounds with a GCWR of 13,300 pounds" If you do the math, with that truck's GVW of 6400 pounds and a max GCWR of 13,300, the maximum trailer weight would be 6900 pounds. So, even between the dealership and Ford's own specifications, there is significant difference in the ratings on that truck line. It's important, at least to me, to caution Jack65 to do his research before spending his money.

While my objective is NOT to argue with another "disinterested" (read: Not spending your own money) I do feel that it is important to not "accept all the good information and ignore the negative information" about the truck.

It is, in my opinion, very important that Jack65 do his "due diligence" with that truck BEFORE he buys it. As I said, it's not your money and not my money, so we really don't get a vote in the contract. All I wanted to bring to his attention is that the dealer's own information indicates the truck is limited to 5,000 pound trailer weight...... If you feel that he should buy it "be damned what the website says", then that's certainly your privilege. I've been "SCREWED" by listening to people who want to spend my money enough times that I prefer to read all the "small print" and always appreciate someone bringing that to my attention before I make a mistake. YMMV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote