View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 06:21 AM   #12
LFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack65 View Post
My wife prefers SUV style over pickup, even though like Bob says, the pickup probably tows better.
That is correct according to the Jeep charts.
I'll be looking at one of each tomorrow at the dealership where we got our Ford Edge from:
I think you are right at, if not beyond, the safe towing capability of the typical "family" SUV (e.g., "Edge"), unless you go into the larger versions, such as an Explorer/Expedition, Tahoe/Suburban, etc., with a bigger engine.

In addition to engine power, the tow vehicle must have sufficient suspension, braking power, and weight to not let the "trailer tail wag the dog," so to speak. Plus, be sure to invest in a good, anti-sway, weight distribution hitch. Look at some of those "trailer sway" videos on YouTube to see what I'm talking about. I find my F-150 easily handles my Passport ML199, which has about the same GVW rating as your Outback. I don't think I'd want to tow with anything much smaller. Just my .02 worth
LFord is offline   Reply With Quote