Thread: TV is a SUV
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2016, 05:12 PM   #56
jaydubya1966

Re: TV is a SUV

I learn an awful lot from this forum. One of the issues I was most concerned about was my TV. I bought our first TT about three months ago and I towed with a GMC Acadia, which properly equipped can tow 5200lbs. I own a Passport Elite 19RB which has a dry weight of 4300 (and change) so my margin was less than 1,000 lbs. I did get myself weighed and I was about 500lbs short of my total GCWR (10,700). While it towed fine in the flats of Florida, my math told me I was really close to my limits (95%) and my DW and I were NOT in the Acadia during weigh in. I wondered how we would do if we encountered hills.

Long story made shorter, after reading this thread and others I decided that if I wanted to stay in RVing, and maybe upgrade down the road, I would be better off with a more capable TV. Today we bought a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Short Bed with the 5.3L Eco Tec engine. It is equipped for towing and has a 3.42 axle ratio. I verified before driving away and I can tow up to 9,400 lbs as equipped. My Passport 19RB will be much more easily towed and now I have room for some growth should we decide to do so. The wheel base along with the higher capacity is what swayed me (no pun intended). I felt that this presented a safer option. I loved my Acadia but feel like I made the right move for me. Thanks to all who participate in this forum...such a huge help to newer folks like us.
TV: 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L
TV: 2015 GMC Acadia SLT (Retired in Nov 16)
jaydubya1966 is offline   Reply With Quote