Thread: Nitrogen??
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2016, 04:25 AM   #5
bsmith0404

Research I have done seems to be pretty consistent on the subject, nitrogen is dryer, is affected less by temp changes, and bleeds through the rubber less than oxygen. How much difference does it make over regular atmospheric air that is 79% nitrogen?

Here's my thoughts, first to be done properly, nitrogen filled tires must be purged several times to remove as much of the oxygen and moisture from the tire as possible to get the level of pure nitrogen as high as possible in order to see the maximum effect. The machines that most tire shops use do this automatically, but it comes at a price.
I have thought about doing it with my RV tires, but decided not to for one reason. Nitrogen is more stable than regular air, but it still changes with temps. Considering the fact that I could be towing in January where cold pressure temps could be in the 30s, or I could be towing in July when col pressure temps could be in the 100s, it's obvious that the cold pressures would be different and require adjustment. Do I really want to go to a tire shop with a nitrogen system in order to adjust my cold pressures? I did find nitrogen tire inflation kits for around $300, but you still need to find a place to fill the tank. Cost vs benefit just isn't there in my opinion.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote