View Single Post
Old 06-18-2014, 11:12 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead View Post
Mr John (JRTJH)
the campground that DW and I use on a regular basis has only ONE outlet 30 amp you plug yout rv in it and everything else plugs into you
not all CG have 50 30 15 amp plugins in our area of the country
have a nice weekend to all
If all you have is one 30 amp power source, it doesn't matter how you connect (or "double cable") your 30 amp RV (and/or any extra power cords) because if you start drawing over the 30 amps through the post, that circuit breaker will open, if you simply plug your shore cable into the post, either the post or the RV main breaker will limit you to 30 amps...

However, the OP is looking at using the 50 amp plug, so he isn't limited by your example. It's been years and years since I've seen a power post with only a 30 amp plug and no 20 amp receptacles on the side. I would imagine there are still some floating around, but they are not the norm in most areas of the country.

ADDED: Knucklehead, back in the late 80's early 90's, when we were travelling between Louisiana and Michigan several times a year, we usually stayed in a private campground between Memphis and Nashville. The electrical supply in that campground was extension cords that were stapled to the oak trees with "drops" for each campsite. There was a fuse panel nailed to a central tree, all the extension cords started there and ran to the sites. If you blew your power source, you had to walk to the "oak tree distribution center" to replace your screw in fuse..... Not a fun thing to do in the rain. It was a beautiful, remote park, very quiet, big level sites, good "well water" and sewer connections. Things have improved quite a bit since then, and although I've looked several times when we were in the area, I've not been able to find that campground. If it's still open, I wonder if they've replaced the extension cords and upgraded the fuse box for a circuit breaker panel on the "old oak tree"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote