View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
Festus2
Site Team

Question Will I get what I paid for??

I've been searching for a 3000-3500w generator for quite some time and have now just bought a new one. I was looking for something that (1) didn't cost an arm and a leg, (2) was a "suitcase" portable inverter type, (3) was reasonably quiet, (4) was fairly "lightweight", (5) wasn't used, (6) did not require shipping or shipping charges, and (7) had an authorized service center nearby in case it needed servicing.

Yes, I know I should have bought a Honda or a Yamaha but they are just too much money. Reliable and quiet - for sure. Looked at the Boliy but again pretty pricey. Remember I am talking Canadian prices.

I ended up buying a BE 3500w inverter generator from a small and local outfit that, as luck would have it, is the designated service center for this generator.
His price of $750 Cdn plus tax was as good as or better than any Internet price I could find and comes with a 1 year warranty.

The reviews and ratings that I have been able to find are generally positive. Again, I know it isn't going to be as good as a Honda, Yamaha or Boliy.

This BE3500 meets all of the criteria I set out above. It has 2 110v 20A outlets, 1-110v 30A RV twist lock outlet, and 1- 12v 8.5A outlet. For a generator of this type and wattage, it is reasonably light (70 lbs dry) and is rated at 62 db. We all know that the db rating of generators is not standard and it is left up to the manufacturer to determine, if they want, what the db rating is. I'm not placing much faith in that number but we will see.

The generator also comes under the name of ETQ (ETQ IN3500I) and perhaps one or two other brand names. It is, of course, made in China but try to find a generator or anything else that isn't. So, don't beat me up for buying something stamped "Made in China". I wonder if Honda, Yamaha and Boliy are entirely made somewhere other than China? But that's another topic for another thread.

I didn't want something housed in a tubular cage and weighing 100+ lbs which almost all generators are of this wattage. I'm too old for this kind of heavy lifting and so is my wife. It is a "briefcase" type - no wheels or handle however. The lack of both could be a project this Spring.

I am picking it up next week. I'll post again after I've fired it up and run it for a while. Too early in the year to test it with the RV but I'll set it up on the patio and plug in some items to give it a bit of test under load.

So far, it has met all the criteria except one I didn't mention.....Will I get what I paid for??? Stay tuned.