View Single Post
Old 05-19-2022, 06:41 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I don't know how you guys do it, but on a previous travel trailer I added 2 extra scissor jacks in the middle of the camper. Everything I read said to use the self-tapping screws that were included with the new jacks (Bal). So I tired. I busted several knuckles, pinched a few fingers, and used 4 letter words that no person should ever hear. I couldn't do it. So, I tried drilling. I started with the drill size recommended for the "self tapping screws" and the drill wouldn't even start. I had to start with a very small drill bit. And I broke several of them. Then after getting the first hole, I'd try the self-tapping screws again, and the frame steal was just too tough. It actually ruined a couple of the screws. So, I drilled slightly bigger holes, then bigger, then bigger until I had a hole almost the same size as the screws. Then with all the muster I could, with electric drill and sockets to assist, I was finally able to get those "self-tapping" screws through the hole.

Ever since, I've been more than miffed when someone says, just use self-tapping screws on the trailer frame! Um? use a good drill and spare the knuckles and finger tips!
I use a 1/4” drive impact gun (20V Bauer). Been doing it for over 10 years and yeah sometimes it seems like an all day chore to get 1 in. I have been known to use 2 screws sometimes to get through the frame.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote