View Single Post
Old 05-17-2022, 03:53 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Always something, yup. We're heading home after 1 week of a 2 week trip. Two days before we we going to leave I walked down the basement steps and stepped on a 3 x 5 rug wet rug. Water was comming out from under the wall. Adjacent to the steps is a bathroom where the water supply line enters the house.

I opened the closet in that bathroom and water was pouring in from the outside thru the foundation wall. Had to call the water dept to shut off water outside. The house is 23 yrs old so we're luck the 3/4 copper pipe lasted that long. I feel blessed that not only lasted that long but that apparently we found it just after it happened. The bathroom floor is 1'x1' marble and the rec room is Conneticut blue slate.
I installed it so I know the grout is good. I also built out the finish walls using metal framing and keeping the drywall 1" above the finished floor. So if any is damaged (besides my patience) it would only be a few feet of baseboard molding.

Neighbors had their supply lines replaced several years ogo. Called a couple of plumbers to come out and give estimates. One said he could do the job "in the next few days". His estimate? Well, $8,800. One of the neighbour's that had his done gave the outfits number that he used. Their estimate was $2,900. They were having issues with scheduling as they were booked until after Memorial day. That outfit called us 2 days ago and said they can do the work on the 18 th if someone can open the house. So home we go today.

Made me think, when we leave home for a trip I shut off the water and turn off the WH, etc. But this came from outside so unless I called the water company to have shut off outside this can still happen. Another preparation call from now on after stopping the mail, call the water company. Yup, it's always something!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote