View Single Post
Old 05-16-2022, 05:48 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
it’s one thing to replace a thermocouple or a heating element..maybe a gas valve/thermostat but making a repair that cost half the price of a new one on a 10-15 year water heater? nope not me..i’m buying new and getting a new warranty ..
if there is no issues i’m leaving it until there is a problem..15-20 years…but i have drain pans under my water heaters also…years ago before i started my buisness i worked for a large hvac company that had separate service and install departments…i left the install side and went into service..my boss wanted me to quote $1000 repairs on 18 year old ac systems..i always advised to put the money towards new..my boss said “ we in service are in the business to repair things…not replace them” …little old lady’s had no idea what was better …i hated that part of the industry and i never do that for my company.

i won’t even charge a service call if it’s a lost cause and the people are nice.

i’m not trying to get rich off of other peoples misfortune

I was just kidding. You do the right thing. I'm the worlds worst at using your criteria; I'd just as soon replace it as try to repair it no matter what it is.
You're replace vs "repair" until tomorrow philosophy is spot on IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote