View Single Post
Old 05-13-2022, 06:01 AM   #11
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
This thread kind of evolved into the merits of having an internal EMS for their inability to 'walk away' from a campsite.

I'm more interested in the comment in the original post about a pedestal mount EMS not having the same protection level as an internal hardwired version. I'm with Travelin Texans on this one....it's my understanding that a Progressive EMS PT50X for example will offer the exact same protection as the hardwired version.

No?

The EMS-PT50X and the EMS-HW50C are functionally identical. Their only differences are related to the operating environment. In other words, the EMS-PT50X is weather proof and has a lock (among other things) that the EMS-HW50C does not. The EMS-HW50C has a remote display while the display on the PT50X is built in to the unit. One big difference is the hard wired unit is field serviceable, while the portable unit is not.
I personally prefer the hard wired unit for two reasons:
1. I got distracted and left a portable unit hanging on the power pedestal at a campground in North Carolina several years ago.
2. The hard wired unit's remote display is inside the camper. That's usually the first thing I look at when I am wondering how much power I'm drawing.

I suspect the confusion is being caused by the OP looking at the portable surge protectors such as the SSP-50X and comparing that to the EMS-HW50C.
Comparing the features of all the Progressive Industries products is rather difficult without printing their product information page.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote