View Single Post
Old 05-24-2020, 05:43 PM   #28
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You might consider removing the interior "dome bubble". It simply falls away when you remove the screws that hold it in place. Take a piece of the "frilly, non-slip shelf liner, tape it to the inside part of that "bubble" and set it back in place. The shelf liner will cut about 50% of the heat, UV rays and light, but will leave you with enough light to use the bathroom during the day without turning on the light. It'll save your shower "plastic parts" from the UV rays and keep the bathroom about 20* cooler during the hottest part of the day.
That's a better idea than I had. In fact, now I suspect it might be even easier just to buy some of that shelf liner with the Post-It adhesive on it and press-fit it to the inside of the dome where it sits. I think it's thin enough to be translucent. And if it falls off from the damp, it's cheap and easy enough to just use a new piece.

To me, the benefit of the skylight isn't the light, it's the headroom. I can do without the light (there's always the LED and the fan skylight), but at 6'6", I can't take a comfortable shower without that bubble in the ceiling.

I've already had the ceiling trim ring on that dome off. I tried reinforcing the back side of the rim because it was cracking at the screw holes, and then redrilling the screw holes to a "natural point of aim" so the screws wouldn't pull sideways. I had only minimal success, plus I discovered the rim was cracked in other places that weren't originally visible. The rig was less than a year old at the time. I'm not impressed with that material, and don't want to screw with it more than I have to.