View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmorgan7 View Post
Thanks for your insight. As much as I would like an awesome sound system for our RV, that's really not the reason we bought one. I was hoping to find something that sounded better than the Jensen and that also fit into the existing hole. After doing a little bit of window shopping I realized that I'm not going to be able to find an actual RV style stereo/DVD combo that will be up to my standards.

Upgrading to the Furrion stereo seems like I'd be replacing junk with fancier junk. Plus, with their prices, I think I'd be better off finding a decent double din head unit for a car and modifying the hole to make it fit. As far as subwoofers go, the short answer is no. I'm not looking to turn our RV into a bass thumping annoyance! I was 19 once. I had the subwoofers in my car. I was the one rolling around the neighborhood with my stereo blasting. Making myself look like an idiot because it sounded like my car was rattling itself apart!

I'm already planning on upgrading the televisions to a couple of TCL Roku TVS. I'll upgrade the interior speakers and replace the Jensen with a car stereo that will hopefully be user friendly. I'll have to modify the hole with a makeshift mount and hopefully, make it look presentable.

You might try doing the speaker upgrade first and see if it gives you an acceptable improvement. The Jensen head doesn't put out a lot of power but plenty for an RV - my wife is constantly telling me to turn it down when I watch my MDK (murder/death/kill) movies. Not the best specs in the world but fairly clean until you turn it up too much and overdrive it resulting in some trash in the sound. New speakers really cleaned up the "tinny", shallow etc. sound for me to the point I didn't really worry about replacing the receiver - I wouldn't be able to use the additional power anyway. Just something to think about.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote