Thread: A/C freeze up
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 04:52 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepperd8155 View Post
I failed to mention that in my post yesterday. The temp split is low, usually 9 to 11 degrees difference at best depending upon the freeze issue. I have purchased a "self piercing valve" and plan to install it, but I have not found anyone that sells small supply of R 410a refrigerant. I have the gauges and pump, but no Freon. Could you offer some advise? If I can get it working properly, I may install it in the garage.
I am not certified, just trying to get by.
Thanks
In my opinion installing a "self piercing valve" is installing another leak. You state that you have a pump and gauges. No offense but do you know how to use them? Just adding refrigerant doesn't fix the leak, it just adds more refrigerant to leak out. Overcharging the system can do more damage. To properly recharge the leak has to be fixed, the system dried out evacuated properly, a proper charging valve installed (a schrader valve welded into the line,) and then a proper charge with the proper amount of oil for the system. On small self contained systems the amount of charge is critical and a few ounces under it won't cool and few over it will destroy the compressor. It's really not a DIY project in my opinion.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote