View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 07:53 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Not only engineering, but even more so is the end construction, or the quality of the construction, from what I have seen the industry needs to buck up and do the jobs right!
That is the point I was trying to make (apparently I missed in communicating the idea).... I'll agree, a "wood" rafter if constructed properly will be stong and last for a long time. If, on the other hand, the rafters were assembled on an assembly line by workers who "missed the mark" with the glue gun and then stapled them together with staples that were 1" too far left on a 1" rafter, well, the only thing holding them together is "sheer luck"..... I've found that the "typical RV quality" is somewhere between "completely missing the staples" and "having 10 times the staples because the first try missed the mark".... So,

As for construction with wood, well, every home I've had has been constructed with wood rafters. They've been 2x4, 2x6, 2x8, 2x10 and 2x12 construction. They sit "stationary" and do last a "long time"..... RV's, on the other hand, are constructed with "#2 grade spruce" 1x1 and 1x2 with 2x2 in "high stress areas". They twist and "contort" down the road over bumps and turns at 65+ MPH. Not quite the same "stationary environment" and very likely not the same "5 year end result"...

sort of like asking a hummingbird to carry the mail when the carrier pigeon is on vacation.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote