View Single Post
Old 07-02-2020, 03:38 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWRiley View Post
I see this a lot, and maybe for a family you would come closer to that number than we do. I can tell you that with just me and the Wife we load about 750 lbs (that includes LP and battery), and that is according to the scale, and that has been the case for our last 2 TTs. Even so - using GVWR of the trailer will give you a safe number.

The way you operate, and your knowledge of your numbers, is far different than most and certainly for folks new to towing an RV. That's the reason, as you noted, that the gvwr is used when talking about weights for folks not used to towing....and some that are.

We're a couple as well, well we have puppy too, but we carry generally 1200 lbs. per scale (give or take a little). With the 5vr and time that may grow. Maybe not because that 1200 lbs. or so included a lot of stuff. Of course, bbq central keeps growing too.

To me the gvwr is ideal for folks simply due to that kind of variance. Throw in a 2-4 kids; gotta have bicycles, kayaks, games etc. etc....... You just don't know....and neither do they. So many just say...."we won't carry any water and we travel light". That's a great statement until they actually try that trip with "nothing"...or the barest of essentials. I've never met anyone that started camping and then went to "less" although I know there are those out there.

Your post is enlightening I hope to some, and hopefully illustrates the need for a scale weight and the knowledge that empowers the owner with.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote