View Single Post
Old 07-02-2020, 11:09 AM   #23
apachewolf

Towing

It is remarkable how often people are listing their empty tariler weight and the load cap. Why not just look at the GVWR? That says it all. And from that you can calculate the tongue weight which SHOULD be between 10% and 15% of the GVWR. GVWR is the TOTAL weight the trailer can weigh safely loaded.And yes the tongue weight IS part of the gross vehicle weight rating. I think it is often made more complex than it really is. Look at your truck first. What is the numbers on the sticker at the door. It will tell you how much weight (payload) you can put on the truck. Different trucks can PULL different loads, but one thing is impottant for all: The hitch weight. That is part of the payload. for the truck. Next look at the sticker (usually posted on the left front corner of the trailer) and see what the GVWR is. There is your answer no need to calculate a lot of different numbers.
Last but not least tow at a SAFE speed. Personally I keep my speed at about 55 mph, yes I know many that think that is stupid and too slow, but the tires on your trailer are NOT build for speed.
Just my personal thoughts on all these posts about safe towing.

Happy camping.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote