View Single Post
Old 04-13-2020, 10:17 AM   #39
cliff

Before I learned that the tires on our fiver were only supposed to last a couple of years, we never where concerned about our tires. Since 1988 we changed the tires every five years and lived happily. Then in 2010 we bought a fiver and put on Goodyear Marathons. In 2012 we had our first tire failure. What was bad was we didn't even feel it. I attributed it to low pressure, although I checked them that morning. Put on the spare, called ahead to a dealer, ordered a new tire. New tire, on our way. 200 miles later a second tire failed. Didn't feel it either. Spare on, back home. Learned to replace all four tires at 2 to 2-1/2 years. New tires all around, Towmax. At two years I just happened to be checking the left rearview mirror and saw one fiver tire explode. Didn't feel a thing that time. Pulled over, changed the tire. By the time we got to the RV park two other tires failed just as we got to our site. Four new tires and this time a TPMS. Yes, I got in the habit of checking the tires every morning before moving, so I didn't drive with under inflated tires. One thing now is that my check for tire pressure is turn on the TPMS and read all the tire pressures, and temperatures including the spares. Since I know I can't feel the failure, I am aware of it before significant damage occurs.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote