Thread: New Camper!
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 08:22 AM   #10
crk112

There is something to be said for surface area... it's no exaggeration when people compare these trailers to a "sail". Even with a nice cushion between your trailer weight and your max tow, you're at the mercy of the air and wind. The lighter the truck and shorter the wheelbase, the more so you are.

I know how excited you must be right now, about to buy the first camper and you can't wait to get it out there! It's a very exciting time and you want everything to go well so you can jump right in. I don't like adding to the discouragement but I'd hate even more for you to have a bad experience or worse, an accident.

Your truck could haul a couple or three pallets of bricks on a trailer without breaking a sweat... but with that TT you've also got an enormous surface area to pull through the air which has a much bigger impact on your tow experience than you might expect. Side winds, large vehicles passing you, turbulence, and just pulling even on a calm-wind day.. you're really gonna feel that 36-foot TT and it will push your truck around. Not a fun experience and you'll grow to dread pulling it anywhere (or worse, develop an unrecoverable sway and have an accident).

(Also, others have touched on your vehicle payload capacity, that's worth your time to investigate as well. After your hitch and tongue weights, you'll run out pretty fast depending on how much you pack.)

I'm glad you took the dealer's word with a grain of salt... With some campers it's misleading to advertise them as "half-ton campers" but it's all about sales. If the numbers "line up" that's all they look at but there's more to it than simple math.

I'd encourage you to take a look at some floor plans in the 24-28 foot range and see if there's something you like. Even with two kids and two dogs we are comfortable in our 26-foot Hideout. Plus the weights of these trailers will give you more of that valuable "cushion" between that and your tow vehicle limit. Alternatively perhaps it's a good time to check out a truck upgrade?

RVing is about having fun and we want you to have fun just as much as you do! This is quite a friendly and informative place and the folks here share their experiences in hopes you'll have a better experience.

I hope we haven't discouraged you too much... please keep us posted on your journey !!
"The Cabin v2" 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote