View Single Post
Old 05-27-2021, 07:12 AM   #26
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
That is good information. By “sharing” I am assuming you mean “hotspot.” We ran out of data real fast with verizon (not watching movies) and I thought they were to slow the data but not have it run out and start penalties... This was in response to using an HDMI from cell to TV.
The point to understand is the difference between your phone using cell data, and devices using your cell data by using your phone as a hotspot.

Our phone plan has "unlimited data." But that applies only to Internet used directly by the phone. Internet used by devices using your phone as a hotspot hit a hard cap, and (on my plan) you can't even pay money to add to the cap to get you through the month. I discovered this on an extended stay at a campsite with good cell signal but no WiFi. Eventually, it occurred to me that the cap was per phone, so we made DW's phone the hotspot until we could leave.

surfbeetle points out that if you have a plan like this, and you use a device (like a Tivo, Firestick, or Roku) to stream content over your phone hotspot, you will hit that cap, or slowdown, or surcharge, whatever your plan has. But if you use your phone's native Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc. app as if you were watching the shows on your phone, but just mirror the video to your large screen TV, your carrier will chalk it against your unlimited usage.