View Single Post
Old 05-13-2021, 09:30 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Boondocking, to me, means camping in an area "not designated by concrete or well worn ruts"... In other words, someplace other than a "marked campsite"...

In Michigan and most places we've lived or travelled, boondocking is permitted on public land with some restrictions. Generally, in Michigan, boondocking is permitted anywhere outside a designated campground, provided it's further than 1 mile from any organized public camping area or a previous "dispersed camping spot". IMO, that rule is to prevent people from parking and camping on the apron just outside the fence of an established campground, should it be full with no open spaces...

Now, the "fine line" at least to me is "common sense and respect for other people"... It's something that's sadly lacking in the character of a growing part of the "adult" population" these days. If someone sets up a campsite "in the middle of nowhere" and a stranger happens by and decides to set up camp on the other side of an adjacent oak tree... Well, that's a violation of both "common sense" and "respect for others"...

Can someone "do something about that kind of trespassing" ? Some places, maybe, other places, no, you either endure it or pack up and leave... Sad commentary about the "me generation" (which has no age boundaries)...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote