Thread: Wag the Tesla
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 08:23 PM   #64
JRTJH
Site Team

My son was "deep into R/C car racing when he was in high school. One of the biggest drawbacks was range. His cars had replaceable batteries and his "pit stops" weren't to "glug 20 gallons into the tank" but to change out the battery and maybe adjust a servo. Multiple, interchangeable batteries worked for his "toy cars"... They also work for my cordless tools...

I wonder is there's any thought on having "exchange batteries" so you stop at a fuel station/battery station, pull out the 300 pound discharged one, plug in a 300 pound fully charged one, all in about 4 or 5 minutes, just like "pumping 20 gallons....

I'd suspect a lot of people would prefer not to exchange their "personal battery" so, sort of like the "Blue Flame Propane tank exchange", go pick up a "used full one" and when it's empty, pay for a full one and keep "grilling" or "driving"...

It'll take all the auto manufacturers to "standardize their battery systems" but all the flashlight and portable radio manufacturers did that during the 8 transistor radio era, back in the '60's....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote