View Single Post
Old 05-10-2021, 05:39 PM   #14
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I’ve been curious how toyhaulers handle any gas fumes that may accumulate and cause problems. In residential homes it’s against code to have any ductwork from a central duct system that vents or returns air into the garage. Gas fumes and carbon monoxide possibly getting into the rest of the home via the ductwork when the furnace is off is the reason. I guess when the garage has its own ac unit it is just a non ducted unit? Just for the garage zone?
Jasin,
Your code understanding is the same as mine - no ducts from the garage into the main cabin to avoid CO and other fumes into the main living space. But there may be ducts going the other way. As chuck points out, cross flow ventilation within the garage is provided from the two manually opened outside vents, primarily to deal with any fumes (oil/gas) from the hauled toys. In our Raptor, the main "racetrack" AC ductwork is vented "into" the garage but not very effective. The 3rd AC unit in the garage is a stand alone and is NOT vented into the main cabin. We don't have any ducted heat to the garage; the 3rd AC is also the heater - a heat strip, but doesn't work very well. The garage does have it's own temperature sensor and controls built into the main thermostat. In order to run the garage heat (AC strip), one needs 110VAC power (shore or generator), so we just use a small electric heater and that seems to work well. We can run it a short while on the inverter power, or start the generator.

Heating in our Raptor is not perfect, but you can learn to live with the quirks. Our main cabin propane heater sounds like an F4 with afterburners on and brakes locked waiting for take-off! We try to only use it sparingly. It works really well, but it's LOUD! So, being in the forest and taking our coffee out on the party deck on a cool morning is worth every bit of the quirks in the Raptor.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote