Thread: Speaker system
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2021, 06:22 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Hm. The video at Crutchfield indicates that baffles actually decrease the bass response.
Hmmmm, he did say it "possibly can" and that certianly can happen if you are using a "long throw woffer" at high pressures (i.e. high volumes with high bass content). What he did was cut a "relief " hole that acts as a restriction as oposed to a small confined space similar to a ported tube enclosure. If you don't beleive it helps the bottom sound reproduction then I'd challenge you to take one of your speakers out of a speaker cabinet and let it hang while playing the radio. Then while still playing, put it back in it's mounting.

A large free air space like an RV ceiling is the same as just hanging ithe speaker in free air. If that ceiling is layered with fiberglass batting then it's not truely open and would act like a speaker box. There's a lot of sound pressure engenering that goes into the design of a quality speker enclosure. The box it specifically designed to respond/react to the specific speaker that's installed, Take one apart and you will find different baffels and air ports with sound deadening materials, etc.

It's all about what you are desiring in audio quality and what you are willing to spend to get it. The subject matter at hand was "upgradeing" the current speakers to get some improvement in Bass response, not experiencing "concert hall" quality sound or listenening to songs like "BagPack" by Vince Staples. If anyone seeks that then their best result would be to visit a shop that specializes in that.

So I guess we can take things out of context, pick and choose our support for our statements or we can try to help the OP with his/her issue and move on.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote