Thread: Boondocking..
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 08:30 AM   #16
cdotson

I put a bumper-mounted hitch on my 1800BH the first year we had it. Put a bike rack with 3 bikes on it. It didn't survive the first trip, but luckily we arrived at our destination with the bumper still attached and the rack and bikes still in place, if a little lower to the ground. If it was longer than a 2-hour drive it wouldn't have survived.

If you're going to be dry camping your fresh tank will be full and you might get better load balance by carrying generators in your tub. I always travel with empty tanks and usually have too much tongue weight; if your fresh tank is full and have generators in the rear you'll have to ensure you have stuff in pass-thru or under bed to ensure towing stability.

If the newer 1800BHs don't yet come with struts for the under bed storage by all means add them. I did and it finally allows me to get in there by myself without risk of crushing my head.

For the wardrobe cabinet in front and the overhead cabinet at the dinette my wife made shelves with firring strip and 2x2 supports and masonite or luan shelf to increase stacking space. We needed to divide areas up between 4-5 people's folded clothing but in general it makes the cabinets more usable.

I also use foldable plastic crates (InstaCrate) in my pass-thru. I have one with a heavy plastic liner for blackwater items and one on the other side for cords/rope/hammocks. I carry an EZ-up and outdoor carpet in between, but you could carry 2 more crates in the middle without other bulky items

Keep an eye on your A/C condensate. Mine REALLY wanted to drain inside the trailer. Finally fixed it for good last year.
cdotson is offline   Reply With Quote