Thread: Hitch slop
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2020, 07:05 PM   #22
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Brant,

First, thanks for asking for pictures... Somehow I missed my annual "corrosion control" on the hitch... Now you know what I'll be doing this afternoon....

Here's a few photos of the OEM hitch on my 2015 F250 diesel truck. It's my understanding that all SuperDuty models (gas or diesel) are equipped with the same receiver, but that likely isn't true with "fleet orders". Your equipment list confirms your hitch is not "the standard OEM consumer part"...

As you can see in these photos, my hitch has "3 layers". The outer is the same "reinforcement ring" as yours, the next in is the 2.5" tube and the inner is the 2" sleeve adapter.

Ratings on my receiver with the 2" sleeve in place and a 2" shank are:
Weight carrying: 6000/600
Weight distributing: 12500/1250

With the sleeve removed and a 2.5" shank, ratings are:
Weight carrying: 8500/850
Weight distributing: 19000/1900

Your receiver is "way lighter" than the OEM for SuperDuty trucks built for consumer sale, and with your trailer GVW, it looks like you're "right there at maximum capacity" which might explain why you are seeing the steel deformity. It's at the maximum limits.
John,

Thanks for the photos. I wonder if The models with gas get the class III? I saw another in a parking lot today, same year, same trim, same hitch. Also gas. It took all I had in me from not sliding my wdh in real quick to see if it has the same slop. Since the gas is limited to 12.5k they used a hitch to prevent people like RuffRider from overloading.

The Ford info sticker shows the hitch rated at 12.5k with a wdh so I’m not worried about overloading. I don’t like the slop though. Direct from the Reece site a class IV is $380. I’m sure I could find it cheaper if I shop around. Might be cheap piece of mind as the shank bouncing around in the receiver will cause a failure sooner than later.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote