View Single Post
Old 07-03-2020, 04:26 PM   #34
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
That makes sense. I was forgetting that 12v amps isn’t the same as 110 amps. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Amps are amps as far as I've ever studied:

"DC Amps and AC amps are the exact same thing, they are the measurement of electrons past a given point, the difference is that the electrons of AC go back and forth (alternating) and DC go only in one direction".

I will tell you when you want to get "astraddle of them" DC is almost like a hot burn, AC feels like it will blow your heart up (when "astraddle" of it; btdt) and pulse every fiber of your being.
Danny is right - an ampere (or shortened, amp) is literally a measure of the number of electrons that pass a given point in one second; it is independent of the type of electromotive driving force, voltage.

My comment came from the principle of conservation of energy, in this instance a watt (which is energy per second). The energy output has to equal the energy input. As no device is 100% efficient, some of the energy that passes through it will be "lost" to heat, thus the input side has a greater power consumption than the output side can deliver. The difference between the input energy and output energy is heat energy, so:

input energy = output energy + heat energy

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote