Thread: Towing Question
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 09:29 AM   #33
LCrabtree

You got a lot of responses about vehicle weights, but I didn't see anyone answer the basic question; instead everyone has advice about weights ...

We experience the same phenomenon with our 19' TT. Here is what is happening. As we pull the trailer we also pull a bunch of air with us, much more that the pickup alone. This pushes a cushion of air in front of the trailer which slips down both sides and increases the relative air pressure in the front and on both sides. A big rig does the exact same thing. When a big rig passes on my left side, as the rig comes even with my setup, the two cushions of air sort of meld into one cushion in the front, with one on the right side of my setup and one of the left side of the big rig, so higher relative air pressure in those areas; however, the space between the two no longer has higher relative air pressure, so the higher relative air pressure on the right side of my rig tends to push us to the left. The same thing is happening to the big rig, except that because of its mass the effect is dramatically reduced. Test the theory ... one big rig will cause a noticeable effect on my setup, but the very next big rig causes virtually no effect - because the two different big rigs are aerodynamically different, pushing different amounts of air cushions. also the larger the mass of your setup and the more aerodynamic your setup, the less you are likely to notice this effect.
LCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote