Thread: Check me please
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 08:25 AM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by theasphaltrv'er View Post
Sourdough sir.... you really think it has a 2000 lb pin weight when loaded for travel? Where did you come up with that 2000 lb figure? Spec sheet said it had a 1190 dry pin weight (yeah I know that doesn't mean diddly squat). Actually the scaled dry pin weight was 1145 (included battery & full propane) so I surmise theirs is a general guesstimate like the yellow sticker is on the truck.

....yes sir I've scaled it ready yo travel and no it doesn't have a loaded pin weight of 2000 lbs. FYI...scaled loaded pin weight is....1450.

Here are the #'s for our setup. So yes a properly equipped & loaded F-150 can "SAFELY" tow & stop a properly matched 5'er.

Truck loaded is;
FAW 3380 of 4050
RAW 3100 of 4800
Total 6480 of 8200

5er loaded is;

Pin 1450
AW 6900
5'er 8350
GVWR 9960

Sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread, but there is just so much false beliefs & misinformation about a so called 1/2 ton being able to tow a 5'er. I know the it can be done with a little bit of or maybe allot of homework, with matching the right 5'er with the right truck. JOMO Good Day!

You did not give scale weights or mention you had them. You said your little F150 pulled your little 5th wheel just fine without any qualifiers. That given, and assuming you knew nothing about your weights, the gvw of the trailer is 9990. "Assumption" then, to err on the safe side, is a quick 20% figure for the weight came out to approx. 2000 lbs.

By your numbers you have added approx. 1300 lbs. to the unloaded weight of the trailer vs a payload rating of 2943 lbs. And yes, it appears you have loaded it to a weight not much different than a bumper pull, which is unusual. And, if you can get by with only 1300 lbs. of gear in a fully loaded truck and 5th wheel then by all means do so. If that trailer was "fully" loaded, as most will, it will overtax your F150 if loaded at a 20% pin (assuming there are a couple of people and nothing else).

So, you may be loading minimally to make it work with your truck, which has a pretty high payload rating for a 1/2 ton, but that does not mean the next guy can take the same combo and make it work. Nor does it mean that every other 1/2 ton out there can do it. There are always exceptions but to say that a 1/2 ton is generally not cut out for a 5th wheel is accurate.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote