View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 02:47 PM   #32
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Someone who "touts the cause" of that accident and how to prevent it really needs to spend a few minutes looking up the payload, GVW, CGWR and towing limitations of the Excursion. From the emblem on the door, that appears to be a diesel Excursion. They were "notoriously" known to have payloads significantly less than the "truck cousins" from which they evolved. Payloads in the 900-1100 range were not uncommon. Looking at that trailer, no matter which hitch was installed, the tow vehicle was "overloaded" and, with all the "stuff" mounted on the rear bumper rack, I'd strongly suspect that the tongue weight wasn't appropriate and, if it was in the 10-15% of total weight range, with that much "counter weight on the rear, then the Excursion was likely to have been "critically overloaded"....

While a Hensley/ProPride hitch can prevent sway (literal interpretation) it can't keep a "stupid driver in his lane" nor can it prevent that same driver from creating a series of circumstances that lead to the inevitable.

Something I tell my friends who love to use their hitch on the back of their TT is, even when there is enough tongue weight after loading stuff in the back, having a bunch of weight behind the TT axles is no good. People think you just have to "load up the tongue" to counteract weight in the rear. Even when the tongue weight is adequate, a bunch of weight in the back causes problems.

I agree, if the tongue weight was correct, he was probably over on payload.

Also, 99% of the WDH setups I see at campgrounds are not setup correctly. Either due to bars not big enough for the tongue weight or not tightened enough. Usually both. People need to buy WDH systems based on proper tongue weight and not trailer weight... because WDH systems are usually advertised as trailer-weight/tongue-weight -- where tongue weight is 10%. This usually ends up meaning the buyer gets too small of a system. If your trailer weight is 10,000 lbs, you need the 15,000/1,500 setup not the 10,000/1,000 setup because proper tongue weight of a 10,000 lbs trailer usually is north of 1,000 lbs.

A $50 sway bar also works wonders, especially in conjunction with an "integrated " sway control WDH system. When using one, you can't be afraid to tighten it up good.

I see I have gone off course a bit... from my original reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote