View Single Post
Old 01-30-2020, 08:41 PM   #9
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Just a few thoughts about the entire situation:

1. The tires are a "cobbled together mix" of brands and sizes, the wheels (a fairly "permanent" part of the trailer, are different sizes and brands as well.

This gives me the impression that whoever owned (or took the trailer in for sale) "threw together parts to make it presentable. I'd have to ask why the wheels were exchanged and whether there was some damage that caused the replacements? If so, what else might have been damaged and/or replaced to make the trailer presentable for sale ???

2. If the tires are any indication, I'd very VERY carefully check the rest of the trailer for similar "cheap way out" repairs/replacements. If "they" (whoever "they" are) did this with tires, there is a real probability "they" also did it with sealing the roof, caulking the windows, hiding mold/rot under new vinyl flooring or a host of other "cheap fixes for real problems".....

Now, as for tires, if "appearance is key" buy what looks good in your opinion...
If reliability is the objective, as Cal stated, you can't buy 14" tires that meet the new RVIA weight standards, so you're going to need to upgrade to 15" wheels and also to heavier tires.

Which brand? There are three that immediately come to mind as "reported good results".. They are (in alphabetical order): Carlise Radial Trail HD, Goodyear Endurance and Maxxis 8008. All are ST tires, available in appropriate sizes to fit most common travel trailer sizes.

My thoughts (for what they might be worth) are this:
Goodyear Endurance was introduced about 3 years ago. They have earned a good reputation for being a reliable, trustworthy ST tire. HOWEVER, they have a limited "long term reputation or reliability". That may (or may not) reveal problems in the future years. Price is at the top of the ST tire range.

Maxxis was the "gold standard" for ST tires after the Goodyear Marathon moved "offshore to Chinese manufacture". It remains a good choice, but has not increased the speed rating above the 65MPH level. In today's RV market, faster towing speeds have "nearly become common place" and the Maxxis can easily be operated "outside its design parameters". If the owner does that, what happens to "tire reliability" ??? Maxxis pricing is also at the top of the ST tire range.

Carlisle Radial Trail HD (by brand and product name) a reliable ST tire that has a 5 year history and is an "improved version of the Radial Trail RH" which also had a 5-8 year history of reliable service before it was replaced by the newer tire version. It can be obtained from many tire distributors and is the most economically priced ST tire of the three (Endurance, 8008 or RT HD). WalMart currently has Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires available for nearly the same pricing as the "china bombs" that nearly everyone seeks to avoid.

So, quality tires from the 3 "best choices for typical RV use" are available at most tire distributors, if brand is important or cost is important, there are choices. If price is the factor and wheels are also to be included, you can buy two new wheels and three tires for your trailer by carefully shopping price and taking advantage of prices at different stores or internet sites. Buy the wheels where they are cheapest, buy the tires where they are cheapest, have someone "install the tires on the wheels at a local shop and then install them on your trailer. You'll save money that way, something that's probably important with this trailer update. HAVE THE TIRES BALANCED as a part of the installation.....

Also, don't limit your careful inspection of this trailer to "only the tires and wheels". My guess is that is only the beginning of "shortcuts taken to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear..... Buyer beware.....
There is also the Sailuns. I don't have any experience with them but many people on the GD forums, IRV2 and couple other report good success. Heavy ST tires with 14 ply in the LRG I think. Course for the OP a LRG is way overkill but food for thought.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote