View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 02:07 AM   #53
LHaven

I may have made some major stupid math error (it happens), but this is what I see right now.

The Keystone webpage seems written to confuse. 4971 is the dry weight, a weight your rig will never weigh again once it leaves the factory. Dry weight doesn't include propane, battery, and hitch, to name just three heavy items your rig will sprout before you even see it.

Add the 2229 carrying capacity figure to arrive at the true maximum weight of 7200, which presumably is the figure that would show on the side label of the trailer. (Why Keystone doesn't straightforwardly publish that on their webpage is disturbing.) Assume 15% of this is tongue weight, which would be 1080.

Your TV max payload number is 1903. Minus the people and dog at 300 gives 1603 headroom, well within acceptable spec.

However, note that the max capacity of the physical hitch alone on an F150 is 1050. Mmmm.

Now, I believe exceeding the recommended 20% margin is probably reasonable for this single number. If you limited your tongue weight to, say, 950, which seems fair to me, you should be well within the working load of that hitch. If that's 15% of your gross trailer weight, that would limit you to a gross weight of about 6300, or a trailer payload of 1330. It's not 2229, but it's a payload you could make work, even after propane, battery, and hitch have come off the top. When you add up your food, water, clothes, cookware, tools, camp furniture, outdoor toys, and the like, you have to keep the total trailer weight under 6300, and balance it properly.

Note that you're leaving nearly 900 pounds of payload on the table due to limitations in your tow vehicle.