View Single Post
Old 11-06-2019, 08:36 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I think the lack of clarity regarding tow chains relative to a gooseneck and the variance in states plus the LEO who stops you likely doesn't have a clear understanding makes it prudent to use safety chains. Many gooseneck truck bed solutions have spring loaded loops for connecting safety chains so in the unlikely event a LEO were to look in my bed, he would see safety chains as well as the kill switch connected to my Andersen Ultimate STEEL assembly.
That's my thought as well. Especially when travelling between states, it's difficult to keep up with the changing laws and regulations along the route. Reciprocity only extends to licensure, not to equipment requirements, so as soon as you cross the state line, you've got to comply with their "equipment requirements".

Case in point, Michigan double tow maximum length is 75'. As soon as I cross into Minnesota, Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin or Indiana, the maximum length is 65'. My rig length is about 72', so I'm longer than the maximum "every direction I go"... While I've towed in all of them and never had a problem, that may change on the next trip.

I know people who double tow into Florida every fall and double tow out of Florida every spring. I haven't heard of anything but the occasional "local deputy stopped me and told me not to come through his town again with two trailers" type of comments.

I'm reluctant to double tow into Florida, mainly because there's no way to get through Alabama or Georgia, both restrict double trailers. So, we divert west in Tennessee and there's enough to explore that we've never missed towing through the extreme southeast.... Maybe one day...

Anyway, if I had a gooseneck or fifth wheel hitch connected to a gooseneck, I'd just install the two chain loops and always tow with safety chains connected. Better safe (physically and legally) than sorry....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote