View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 05:44 AM   #6
W5WI

I have been very lucky I guess. All I've had to do with both Direct TV (when I had it) and Dish (my current provider) is to rent an additional receiver. Since both services had upgraded their dishes at my home I had several 500 series dishes on hand. While these dishes won't pick up multiple satellites, they will receive individual ones and you will get full programming, minus local channels. I learned that the dish and transponder will work with either provider regardless of who it came from.

I bought a tripod mount and a signal strength meter from Camping World to set it up. Then I learned you can use the setup feature on the receiver and just type in my current zip code to get a signal strength meter. Lesson learned is that you will get signals from other providers satellites so using the meter on the receiver is best as it will indicate whether or not you are on the correct satellite.

So, I pay $6 a month rent and have the same service on the road that I have at home. With both services I have called the respective company for support and I have told them I am in my RV away from home. They don't care.

The only drawback is that if you need a technician to come out, you have to be at your home base.

Happy Trails,

dale
W5WI is offline   Reply With Quote