Thread: Battery monitor
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 08:24 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Having maintained some of the most sophisticated electronics systems in the world (aircraft and missile guidance systems), I'm not sure that installing a system with accuracy to the 0.001 volt level is realistic for monitoring a 12 volt dual battery system in a Hideout travel trailer.

Sure you can "do it" but is it necessary? is it better? is it cheaper? will it give the average camper a better insight to your battery condition?

Every battery chart I've seen (for general consumer use) illustrates voltage/charge condition to the 0.1 level. So, who really cares where the "other two digits" are?

To me, if installing a voltage monitor system (not a "electronics gee whiz panel" so the neighbors are impressed) in an entry level, wood frame travel trailer, then I wouldn't spend a lot of money on features that will likely NEVER be used. And if someone is asking the question, I'd suppose their electronics expertise is not at the "master installer level", so the KISS protocol is likely to be important.

As an example, would you put Pirelli Stelvio Corsa tires ($600 each) on a Yugo or Chevy Metro? Sure, you can get tires sized to fit the wheel, but will you be able to use any of the enhanced performance built into the tires? For those two cars, a set of Goodyear or Dunlop "cheapies" will do just as well. Now if you had a Ferrari 250 GTO, I'd say the enhanced features would be beneficial, but probably only if you lived in Germany where the speed limits don't apply to many roads. In the USA, with a maximum of 55MPH on most roads and 80 as the highest "typical limit" even on that kind of car, the tires wouldn't be justified.....

JMHO, but when we complain about having to use 3 gallons of antifreeze instead of being able to winterize with only 2 gallons, if that $2.97 is important, then installing a "gee whiz panel" in a Hideout ???

Now, if the objective is to install a panel to impress the neighbors or to give the trailer "ambience" with multicolor, flashing lights and multiple switches to change the flashing pattern and watch the voltage drop when the inverter kicks in to run the toaster (for the maximum 2 minutes until the batteries die).... Then there are some very impressive "master control panels" available.... But, for monitoring a battery in a travel trailer when dry camping ??????

OK off my soap box......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote