View Single Post
Old 03-13-2020, 01:56 PM   #18
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit59 View Post
Lhaven..... I might spring for paid app. Do you own sygic? Do you like it? Thanks
Sygic offers a free trial period. I found it somewhat unpolished with an unintuitive interface, compared to things like Waze or Apple Maps, and had odd problems (like entering "g" instead of an apostrophe every time I typed one). I was never able to get the nav audio to come out my truck speakers (wasn't a pairing issue, as all the other nav apps did it just fine). The app heavily touted a price discount that had expired nine months previously, and offered no facility for getting help or reporting problems (I had to look up their support email address on their website). By the time I got the app to where it was marginally usable, the trial period had expired, and we were so close to the end of our trip that it would have been uneconomical to pay their hefty $125 annual license fee just to cover mostly idle season. (I see on their website they are now offering short-period licenses at $10/month.)

I use the laptop version of Road Trip Planner to plan each day's routing, including "roadside attraction" waypoints and strict avoidance of places where "there be dragons" (like New Jersey or NYC). It has a handy interface where it can feed your detailed route directly to Google Maps, and have it just handle the real-time voice nav and traffic reporting duties (provided you remember never to accept any of its suggested route "improvements"). The $10 flat fee also can't be beat.

However... RTP has no facility for automatically avoiding low bridges, auto-only thruways, and other truck issues, because it uses Apple Maps as its routing engine and Maps doesn't know anything about those (it does know tolls); plus it's only available on macOS/iOS. I understand there is similar software for Windows, offered by others, but I don't know anything else about it.