View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 02:57 AM   #14
bdaniel

Everything you say is true. But you also have to admit that for every person that meets your description that is one more that comes to forums like these that does not want to hear the truth. They bought too much camper for their truck and only want to hear "sure that truck will tow that camper". If they get any other response, they get defensive.

Or they hear things like, add some air bags, add a chip, add a transmission cooler, etc. I think we can agree that means the truck is not sufficient or safe to tow.

Most people are going to do what they want to do. Most people are going to never have an accident. The cops certainly don't care if you tow overweight and I wonder if any states require additional driver training for towing. I doubt it.

But, I've been doing this for a very long time and I have never heard a single person say they regretted going from a 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton tow vehicle. The comments are always along the line of "a night and day difference".

The last post was calm and made good points. I hope the readers of this post will think it the same. Those who research their vehicle, know its limits and stay within them will mostly be fine. Its people who come here for quick confirmations of their truck without doing their own research or take the RV salesman's advice that are going to have safety issues.

The main thing is to be safe, keep your tow vehicle and camper well maintained and go camping every chance you can. Remember, even a bad day camping is always better than the best day working. <grin>.

Bobby