View Single Post
Old 04-25-2020, 07:48 AM   #1
Fishsizzle

Unemployment benefits

Figured I would post this here as there are many wise and experienced ones.

Wife and I own a biz. For years was an llc. We always had to scrimp and save to pay the tax bill T the end of the year.

A few years back we switched to an S Corp. and began to “pay” ourselves (I use that term lay loosely) to pay into the tax system and not have a large tax bill at the end of the year.

We didn’t really look at our pay stubs to see what has been taken out all these years as we just “assumed” bad word I know, that all was well.

Trying to keep employees on, I had my wife go on unemployment and stay home to get the house around as we are going to sell it. (Another story)

Anyway, she gets a claimed denied from the state after a month of filings. We can’t figure it out until we start going back through both are pay stubs and see that our accountant hasn’t taken a dime in years from our check and put in unemployment for us (they do all our Payroll) They did for all our employees, but not us. They did for federal unemployment, but not state.

Being the weekend, I’ll rack my brain and drive myself crazy trying to understand what I did wrong, but was wondering if this is an S Corp thing? Or was it an oversight on my accountant ?
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote