View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 11:48 AM   #41
flybouy
Site Team

I to recall the first Japanese cheap cars to hit the shores. You could stand beside them hear them rust.

I'm a firm believer that the US consumer has no one to blame but themselves. When Sam Walton founded WalMart he would only sell "American Made". Well the competition changed that. Wiredgeorge stop reading now as I'm "going to travel down memory lane" here.

I recall a time people actually saved up their money and bought an appliance, or a car, or whatever. It was a major investment and it was expected to last a long time or brand loyalty was a huge factor.

Fast forward to the last 4 or 5 decades and consumers want it NOW and they want it CHEAP. I think the "credit to all" is partly to blame as it certainly enabled a lot of folks to adopt that mantra. Even the "upscale" "upcarge" items are no longer necessarily "higher quality" but rather just more glitzy and trendy. Do you really need a refrigerator with a computer monitor on the door and a WiFi connection? This has transgressed into a "disposable" society. Don't believe it? When was the last time you saw an appliance repairman? IF you can find one the majority of the time they will tell you to replace a TV or washing machine because it cost's to much to repair it.

What I can't understand is why people don't get it. Consumers brought this on and now they kick and scream about the low quality and at the same time Kick and scream that the price is too high. I agree that a "better balance" can be achieved but don't go to McDonalds expecting the meat from Ruth Chris to be on the bun. JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote