View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

5th Wheel Living

Up front - I don't own a 5th wheel but I wanted to share this just because I guess.

I had thought for years I would eventually go to a 5vr but after many, many surgeries on my knees I was worried about stability using those small steps trying to go to and from the bedroom....the pin in DWs leg sealed that thought so they're pretty much off our radar.

Having walked up/down lots of 5th wheel steps checking them out I know how tricky they can be for anyone with "wobbly" or insecure knees. Some don't even come with the handrail.

Our good friends that we have been traveling to FL with for a few years were to arrive on Jan. 1 this year instead of Nov. as usual. Last year they had bought a new Big Horn 5th wheel (they had always owned motorhomes) due to all the problems a Class A presents. When they brought it in we went through it and they had some issues which I tried to help with.

In the walk through I mentioned that we were worried about the steps to a bedroom and having to use them daily to go to/from bed. I warned them to be careful since they are about our age and aren't as agile as they used to be.

Fast forward to Sunday; when DW notified them that puppy had stuck her foot in my eye at 6am and we were headed to a doctor, she advised that her DH had fell on the steps and broke his foot. At this date/hour he will have surgery (VA in Pensacola ) to fix the foot. They are to be here on Jan. 1. Problem is the lady friend can't tow the trailer. Obviously he will have a cast when the surgery is complete and can't drive. I am going to offer to go over and pull the trailer back and let the girls follow in my truck. If that option wasn't available for them, what would they do? What would someone else do?

Just a heads up for folks to think about. Not trying to make anyone afraid of a fifth wheel, I still think I may want one, but trying to point out the issues that a person might run into with those steps as we get older - and, TO BE CAREFUL!!

As a side note, they are staying in Gulf Shores and LOVE IT but will have to leave Jan. 1.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote