View Single Post
Old 01-28-2020, 04:54 PM   #29
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I'm not going to get into a engineering debate on thermodynamics. All cables have a temp rating. Most SOOW cable is rated above 90 deg c or 194 f. Many are rated up to 150 c or 302 f. So if you are going to make a generalized statement about cords melting how about some clarifications? Not theory, not "could be" but what kind of cable, what was the conditions, what exactly happened.

I've spent many years around all kinds of equipment connected via cable and quick disconnects from electric forklifts to overhead cranes, to large welders, to marinas where every boat on the dock is connected to shore power. I have never seen one "melt down" from being coiled or ambient heat.

I regards to coils I'm guessing your talking about "inductive" voltages. You would be hard pressed to wind up a multi conductor cable with 600v or even 300v (in the "junior" insulating class of SOOWJ) into a tight enough coil to get that effect.

Most cable meltdowns are from the improper sized, and improperly protected circuit. Example: Joe homeowner plugs his 1500 watt space heater into a lamp chord extension. The 15 Amp breaker may not trip before the lamp cord overheats. In an RV setting this potential exists if a 30 Amp camper is plugged into ab50 Amp service via a "dog bone". The main breaker in the camper should trip if the over amperage condition exist downstream of the breaker. However; if corroded connections or other fault in between the 30a breaker and the 50 a breaker that causes heat (usually in the plugs) then you can get heat damage from arcing. Melting cable from ambient heat alone? Sorry, but I don't believe it.
You never read a word I wrote, much less understand it.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote