View Single Post
Old 04-30-2020, 05:11 PM   #42
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
Very nice pix. I'm hoping the Utah NPs open soon. We had planned to see at least a couple of them mid April to Mid may to avoid any crowds anyway, but we got locked down and didn't even begin planning until now.
Our problem is getting there mostly. We were hoping to camp at least a couple of nights in NM on the way over and do some fishing, but the 4 corners area is about the worst CV19 hotspot around and no place to camp anyway. We could make a one day push from the Abq area but anything much over 300 miles per day is tough since someone I know can't get out of the house very early...
Any ideas where to camp in SE Utah with the hopes of the NPs opening? We were also thinking of finding some cold water fishing during the trip.
We keep hearing the Parks and Monuments are going to open soon. Coming up from NM there is a cool National Monument called Hovenweep. "A 31-site campground near the visitor center is open year-round, first-come, first-served. The campground is designed for tent camping, though a few sites will accommodate RVs up to 36 feet long." Campground is good for overnight. No hookups but a really cool place to see some unique ruins. That would be a long drive from ABQ. We made the trip from Cortez to ABQ in a day and Cortez is close to Hovenweep. From there you can take 191 to Moab and take in Arches, Canyon lands and Dead Horse Point. An alternative would be to make your way over to Page, AZ. Antelope Canyon is a must see if the tribe has it open. Grand Canyon North Rim is an easy days drive from Page. From North Rim another easy drive to Bryce Canyon. There is some good fishing along Hwy 89 at Panguitch Lake and Otter Creek res. Both are state parks with camping. Fish Lake is further north from Otter Creek but HUGE Mackinaw can be caught there. How much time you got
Shoot me a PM and we can come up with more specific suggestions based on time and interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0200.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	27040   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3363.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	27041   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4201 - Version 3.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	27042   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5119.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	27043  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote